Photo

Alfrenzo's little pastime to pass time

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Air Scotland

Air Scotland

Random Scot set on destroying the earth

• 633 posts

BCal lion + GB colours, possibly a Union Jack FLAG.

my turn to be pedantic :P it is only called a jack when on the jack pole of a ship you see :/ sorry it's just one of my pet hates when people do that :sorry:

International Airlines Group

1950s.pngLogo.png

Air Scotland

Air Scotland

• 633 posts

Rather stupid to follow stupid briefs...

SB according to you everything is stupid so for some weird reason i am backing VQ in this...conversation...please dont tell me you are colour blind to notice that the lion on the tail is english yellow not scottish red though :bored:

1950s.pngLogo.png

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Not really, it's the designers role to create a design that meets the requirements that their asked for, else what is the point of having briefs in the first place?

Considering half the people who request liveries appear to posses some sort of mental retardation, the requirements people set out are often utterly ridiculous. As a designer, if somebody gave me such a request I'd tell them to **** off and come back with a sensible request.

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

SB according to you everything is stupid so for some weird reason i am backing VQ in this...conversation...please dont tell me you are colour blind to notice that the lion on the tail is english yellow not scottish red though :bored:

The colour of the lion is irrelevant. The lone lion itself is a symbol of Scotland, likewise, three lions is a symbol of England. The colours of the lions often varies from that of the Royal Standard, yet are still symbolic of their nation.

violetQueen

violetQueen

The Resident B!tch

• 584 posts
That of course is your choice Speedy, but you, as a designer, should be aware that once you accept the brief it is up to the designer to fulfill the requirements (and in some cases exceed them) as laid out by the client.

....allllso, Speedy, I do think you should brush up on your history of your country. The single lion was used for "England" since before the 12th century (1150ish you'll see one resembling the lion used in the Royal Standard of Scottish) whereas the lion wasn't adopted for the Scottish standard until the mid 13th century... Richard the lionheart was an English monarch, not Scottish. Ironically, the Scottish ruler who brought about the Royal Standard of Scotland married the daughter of John the brother of the infamous Richard I.

The English have typically been linked to the Lion, ironically the Scottish were always linked to Dragons and Unicorns (you will notice in the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom there is a Unicorn on the right - that represents Scotland. The lion on the left is England).

If you want to be really pedantic you will look at some history books and realise the lions and their representation on the English coat of arms is traced back to your Norman lineage and that, I do believe, Normandy's coat of arms features two lions, pretty much identical to the three on the English coat of arms.

Of course, you can correct me if I'm wrong, after all I am just a dumb-ass foreigner as you English people like to call us ;)

I liked TW and it's gone. NW, and it's gone. CO, and it's gone. Pray I don't like you.

"How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
Posted Image

Spoiler

violetQueen

violetQueen

The Resident B!tch

• 584 posts
P.S I said ironic because 99% of people would associate the Dragon with Wales :P (Just like how everyone bar Speedy associates a Lion with Britain)

I liked TW and it's gone. NW, and it's gone. CO, and it's gone. Pray I don't like you.

"How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
Posted Image

Spoiler

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   

The colour of the lion is irrelevant. The lone lion itself is a symbol of Scotland, likewise, three lions is a symbol of England. The colours of the lions often varies from that of the Royal Standard, yet are still symbolic of their nation.

Expected from SB... But as I said, go do your 8 lions and 2 unicorns first before you come back :D

Ah well 3 lions, sounds like Estonia and Denmark too XD

noelair%20banner.png

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
Something based off the first request, in response to violetQueen.

Attached Files

noelair%20banner.png

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

I am just a dumb-ass foreigner as you English people like to call us ;)

'Dumb-ass'. Can't say I've ever used such a term to describe foreigners. Of course, you do like to put words in other's mouths.

At least your historical knowledge is indeed correct, based on my understanding anyway. Though of course, it's helpful in the modern world we live in to utilize the modern day symbol of a nation, opposed to historical emblems. Certainly, the current royal standard would be indicative of the 'modern day' symbol.

Indeed someone foreign to the UK may associate a lone lion with Britain, however, as I've made clear, a native citizen of the UK will deeply contest the use of a lion to signify the UK as a whole. Certainly it is far more common to associate the lone lion with Scotland, which is very much so my point. Previous historical usage is useless if it doesn't have a significant modern day application.

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
Do airplanes which spell out "British Overseas" stay in UK alone?

noelair%20banner.png

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Do airplanes which spell out "British Overseas" stay in UK alone?

You know what, I don't think they do. Amazing isn't it.

I assume your point now is going to be something along the lines of 'the lone lion is therefore suitable', however why display something that would be considered incorrect or not strictly recognized for it's intended meaning in the home nation, and most likely therefore the biggest market, of a business?

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   

Nothing to say?
Ok, run along little kid, we are discussing serious stuff here.

So, comments on the Scottish livery, esp. from violetQueen?

noelair%20banner.png

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

I think you'll find I actually pressed the wrong button, quoting my own post as apposed to editing it. Please refer to my above post instead.

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
I'm going to post it here again for your perusal, for those who are looking for these :D

British Overseas Two.png

noelair%20banner.png

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
In reply to Air Scotland the Scottish.

Attached Files

noelair%20banner.png

Air Scotland

Air Scotland

• 633 posts
:drool:

1950s.pngLogo.png

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
Posted Image

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
:D Steve.

Anyway, for those looking for a condensed post of what I've made (up till this moment) , here it is.

Swiss Retro.png
Swiss RetroAlt.png
Swiss RetroAlt.png
Swiss RetroAlt.png
Swiss RetroAlt.png
Swiss 5years.png
Swiss RetroAlt2.png
Ethiopian.png
EthiopianTwo.png
Royalairmaroc.png
EstonianBlack.png
Estonian.png
British Overseas Two.png
British Overseas Three.png

noelair%20banner.png

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
What happens when some new airline decided to buy a plane from Scottish.
(If you think this is a minium derivative change done from the Scottish psd, shame on you. In fact, its from the Royal Air Maroc's )

Attached Files

noelair%20banner.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users