Photo

Next theme game idea

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

benhasajeep

benhasajeep

AE Addict To-Be

• 17 posts
Is there a way that a theme game could be set up where the number of new and used aircraft is limited per month? In real world airlines can't add 20-50 planes in a month like I have done several times in games. If we could limit to say 5 new and 5 used planes a month in the theme game (slightly higher or lower). Or limit to 10 total aircraft purchases (new or used) a month. That would be cause for some serious thought in aircraft acquisition strategy. Not sure it can be done. But I think that would make for some interesting problems.

Just an idea.

Starkulf

Starkulf

AE Addict To-Be

• 20 posts

Is there a way that a theme game could be set up where the number of new and used aircraft is limited per month? In real world airlines can't add 20-50 planes in a month like I have done several times in games. If we could limit to say 5 new and 5 used planes a month in the theme game (slightly higher or lower). Or limit to 10 total aircraft purchases (new or used) a month. That would be cause for some serious thought in aircraft acquisition strategy. Not sure it can be done. But I think that would make for some interesting problems.

Just an idea.

Like the idea :thumbup: would sure limit the speed in which the airlines grow and would make people think better about the type of planes they buy.
On the other hand if the number of airplanes is lower the competition will probably be less heavy too.. as far as you can call that a bad thing B)

Edited by Starkulf, 19 October 2011 - 08:02 PM.

Kngkyle2

Kngkyle2

• 48 posts
I'd like to see deliveries slowed down in the real game as well, not just a theme game. For a 737 the time it takes from signing the contract to first delivery is just 4 weeks. I think that should be more like 6 months. I'd also like it if the manufacturers had a sort of slot system for deliveries. In the recently reset Beta there are currently 12 Boeing planes being delivered every day. That is way more than is really possible and contributes to the problem of exponential growth. (or at least I see that as a problem)

Concagh98

Concagh98

CEO of BUA Group

• 145 posts
The whole point of that system is so that maasive airlines with 3000+ aircraft can't just order 200 airplanes and mess smaller airlines up by meaning their aircraft won't get delivered until way after the game ends.

sviridovt

sviridovt

AE King

• 1,512 posts
  • Skype Name:tim.sviridov
that would be interesting, maybe limit that airlines could only get 10 planes a month or something. But then I would imagine that would require more coding since I believe that would be a new feature rather then a deleted or changed one (such as removing planes or changing some numbers)

AYFlier

AYFlier

AE Addict To-Be

• 17 posts

The whole point of that system is so that maasive airlines with 3000+ aircraft can't just order 200 airplanes and mess smaller airlines up by meaning their aircraft won't get delivered until way after the game ends.

No you are wrong. What needs to happen is that there will be no 3000+ aircraft airlines that could do that. If the aircraft production was limited the way it is limited in the real world (Airbus and Boeing can only produce X amount of each plane type per month) then no individual airline has an advantage to order 100+ airlines simultaneously.

Also if the finances worked a bit differently, ie you don't have endless supply of cash, you would have to think twice before placing an order.in AE the airlines make too much money for it to be realistic. If you look at the ticket prices you will also see why ;-) particularly on longer routes the prices tend to be too high.

In real life, airlines actually plan ahead. They will not be placing an order for new airframes unless they already know which new route it is being put into or which older airframe it replaces. These things cost a lot of money, and not even the real life giga lines such as AA of UA/CO place these large orders on a whim.

In real life there is also this thing called options. Ie. an airline might agree with either A or B (or both for that matter) that it'll order 50 new frames and also placing an option for further 50. What it then means that the airline pays a smallish fee for the production slots of these 50 additional frames, but it needs to confirm them by a certain date. If it doesn't, then the slots will be available to other airlines. The aircraft manufacturer can then offer these slots at a reduced price as the original airline that hold them already paid a bit.

And then in real life airlines actually also cancel even confirmed orders because of various reasons (such as B787 not meeting the performance that was promised). This always of course involves some negotiations between the airline and the manufacturer, but even then it usually means that previously reserved slots are made available to other customers. If at that time the frame has already began construction, it might mean that someone gets a brand new plane at a substancial discount.

Pineair

Pineair

AE Luver

• 474 posts

User's Awards

10    16    12       9   
The attrition rate would be extremely high. Look at what is happening in the Labour shortage game over 350 airlines started and around 135 still going and the game is only a third of the way through. Perhaps the problem with AE is the ruthlessness of some of the players who take risks no real airline would take. Even members of the same Alliance undercut each other which wouldn't happen for real.

Instead of restricting aircraft purchase perhaps it would be better to look at the securing of gates and especially the building of terminals. Introduce a planning application stage with a wait of say six months before building goes ahead and another three months for construction. Even this shortens reality as it can take years to get planning approval in real life.

polarscribe

polarscribe

AE Player

• 28 posts
Slowing the rate of aircraft production would work as long as you instituted regulations (anti-trust?) to keep any airline from monopolizing more than a certain percentage of any given manufacturer's production slots. Otherwise, the first rich airline could buy out Boeing's entire order queue for the next year and break the game for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users